#1 2016-05-28 11:24:00

spm0001

Teamspeak Paket Loss Question

Hi guys,

can you tell me if Teamspeak servers in the locations Netherlands and Germany (Falkenstein especially) are having problems with packet loss? I take "sometimes" as much as an answer as "on a daily basis", because I am really bumped out atm. Maybe someone has the knowledge, I'm getting a little angry over my recent providers, so I'm trying to find out beforehand if there are any problems.

My history: I recently switched from a VPS provider to some LESish provider (which seems not be part of the LES family btw, so I will not ask for support, don't worry). I wanted to switch, because we had massive paket loss and connection fails on the VPS. The techsupport told me, that there are clients getting hit with DDOS constantly and that the DDOS protection has to "grow" into the problem. Fair enough, but I need a stable TS server for most parts. So I switched to LESish (based in Falkenstein). Everything was fine, up until yesterday. Then again: packetloss, lagging and so on. This is only for a few hours, then it gets better again. I know I cannot ask for much with this price tag and I won't. Just searching for a reliable little NAT for my friends and me.

Thank you!

#2 2016-05-28 14:14:12

Backtogeek
Low End Boss
Website

Re: Teamspeak Paket Loss Question

Teamspeak is VERY sensitive to packet loss, if you need something super stable (I cant imagine why for teamspeak) you need to get a small dedi with DDOS protection.

The other issue is that there are probably about 200 TS3 servers running on any given LES node and they all generate a shit load of udp packets, the TS3 processes combined can generate over 20k pps which on a heavily utilized server will cause moments of lag.

I don't know of any cheaper option for ts3 than LES, its literally the bottom of the barrel in terms of SLA/quality, it is supposed to be a cheap service that is expected to have issues, not something you depend on.

Get an OVH VPS as a compromise maybe, about 1500% more expensive than LES but still only €47 p/year?

http://LittleHappyCloud.net KVM VPS with 1TB Bandwidth for €3.00

#3 2016-05-28 15:29:09

spm0001

Thanks Backtogeek, no, I don't need something superstable, but maybe I'm asking for too much. We are just a little community, so more than a VPS is out of the question. I'm not mad at the seller though. It's just frustating to play a game / talk to each other and have occasional lags because of packet loss. I'm worried that no VPS/NAT seller will solve this problem, since the problem seems to be the state of mind of people to bomb the servers with request til they die. I don't get this, but I don't have to. The saddest part is, that we were never the target, just the ones having the same IP.

#4 2016-05-28 19:37:53

Backtogeek
Low End Boss
Website

This is why IPv6 needs to be adopted, perhaps consider switching to mumble which supports IPv6 you will see much less disruption and it takes 2 minutes to set up an IPv6 tunnel from home if you don't have native.

http://LittleHappyCloud.net KVM VPS with 1TB Bandwidth for €3.00

#5 2016-06-01 15:04:51

lemon
Trusted Member

I have multiple Teamspeaks on Falkenstein nodes, and they're quite stable.
DDOS is not a problem for me, maybe once a month for several minutes theres a DDOS attack on the host node, but then there arent any attacks some months.
The only problem could be, if you have any foes who ddos your Teamspeak, then your server gets shut down and maybe even banned, to make the ddos's stop.

Board footer