#1 2016-12-27 15:46:20

mikho
Low End Mod
Website

LES Locations

What is the interest of more LES locations?

Autosnipe had a bunch of locations where some still exists, thanks to other providers adding that location.
Would more locations be of interest to the community?

Other types of offers, like more storage? (Still NAT).

Perhaps this community needs more success stories? How did you setup your servers? Automation?

#2 2016-12-27 18:05:41

Simonindia
Moderator and your buddy

Re: LES Locations

Always we need more locations But general popularity is meh (We got an location out because of that "HK")

I need more storage plans that's true and we should get the LHC (KVM) NAT servers in all locations or more locations if possible

But I want providers to stay and get bigger better and not go down like Ryan I liked that guy, It is what it is

Guys my request to providers is please bring the former glory to LES and LHC

And I like KVM for all the reasons it is if you can bring it on

Thank you all  providers former and new for putting time money and hard work into LES initiative.

Just trying my best to help. ♥ |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck.” -Joss Whedon“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”-Theodore Roosevelt

#3 2016-12-27 18:25:00

mikho
Low End Mod
Website

I do understand your point SimonIndia, exotic locations are wanted by many when asked for but they are probably the first ones to go and after the first hype, very few really wants them anymore.

My guess is that US and EU locations have a better chance of being sustainable then asian locations.

#4 2016-12-28 01:17:09

DavidGestionDBI
Provider-Moderator
Website

Exactly.

HKG got the higher amount of sales in a small time frame. However, over time, nobody want it OR renew it. Operation cost are also higher.
Usually, in exotic location, we need to use KVM VPS since dedicated server cost too much. Lack of DDoS Protection, support, IP cause also big problem for NAT VPS.

For example, all our remaining locations (excluding South Africa) got DDoS Mitigation, Native peering, Good support, reliable uptime, AND are Dedicated Server on which we have full control.

I was loving the fact to launch new "exotic" location, but this come with lot's of problem, and is part of the reason why VirtWire failed to deliver the service.

From my part, I will continue to offer North America location, and even plan to upgrade them in 2017 to better hardware, but I have no plan at all to launch other LES locations.

Regards, David

-----------
David B. |  Technical Director at Gestion DBI ||  Want to receive our promotions?
IT consulting and Hosting Provider | 24/7 Technical Support

#5 2016-12-28 07:03:07

willie
Trusted Member

i-83.net is not under the LES umbrella but they have many NAT plans that are set up like LES, including a number of large (250GB-2000GB) storage plans that are pretty good, with discounts available til the end of the year.  I have a couple of those plans and they're working well, so I'd say check them out if you want NAT storage.

What I'd like is more pure SSD plans since HDD latency seems to be a noticable pain point when there's a large number of containers on a box.  Something like 64MB ram, 2GB SSD would be nicer than the current 128MB, 3-5GB HDD plans.  Even 1GB SSD is usable but it's cramped.

Last edited by willie (2016-12-28 07:04:20)

#6 2016-12-28 07:07:37

mikho
Low End Mod
Website

willie wrote:

i-83.net is not under the LES umbrella but they have many NAT plans that are set up like LES, including a number of storage plans that are pretty good, with discounts available til the end of the year.  I have a couple of those plans and they're working well, so I'd say check them out if you want NAT storage.

I'm looking for ways for LES to grow, not specifically new servers. If there are things/products/services that are "missing".

willie wrote:

What I'd like is more pure SSD plans since HDD latency seems to be a noticable pain point when there's a large number of containers on a box.  Something like 64MB ram, 2GB SSD would be nicer than the current 128MB, 3-5GB HDD plans.  Even 1GB SSD is usable but it's cramped.

This was the type of answer I was looking for. smile thank you.

#7 2016-12-28 12:41:57

DavidGestionDBI
Provider-Moderator
Website

Something that make one happy doesn't make another one happy.... Just saying wink

-----------
David B. |  Technical Director at Gestion DBI ||  Want to receive our promotions?

#8 2016-12-29 06:27:54

willie
Trusted Member

I wonder if HK's issue might have been people wanted it to bypass the GFW, but found it didn't work for that because its ipv4 got blocked quickly.  (Thought I posted this earlier but don't see it now: sorry if it's a dup).

In my case I got LES's at exotic locations early on and thought it was cool to have them, but after a long while I came to realize that I almost never used them.  I don't know how much trouble they really were for Virtwire though: Virtwire was overextended everywhere including the larger US and EU locations.

I like i83 NAT storage just fine--but it's necessarily outside of LES pricing because of the required hardware for any sizeable plan.

Main other LES thing I'd like to see is free or almost-free subdomains under some LES main domain, but maybe there's too much abuse potential for that to work.

#9 2016-12-29 10:01:23

Simonindia
Moderator and your buddy

Willie for the sub domain thing https://freedns.afraid.org would work and http://www.duckdns.org this one has good api for what it is

Just trying my best to help. ♥ |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck.” -Joss Whedon“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”-Theodore Roosevelt

#10 2016-12-29 12:33:50

DavidGestionDBI
Provider-Moderator
Website

Maybe we can find another domain for LES to do it. The main one will be a bit messy to distinct corporative and customers VPS.

-----------

Board footer