#1 2017-07-14 16:58:17

Backtogeek
Low End Boss
Website

DOS GAMES/DOSBox .. anyone?

Anyone like/use dosbox, I have been watching https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLx053 … WsBETgdKrQ recently and it gave me some nostalgia, just reading through the dosbox manual and spotted that you can emulate a serial link/null modem over the wan for lan link like multi player.

Anyone else interested in that kind of stuff?

I found a collection of almost 18GB of DOS games, been testing some out and might even be a real nerd and find myself a 486... I can't believe how many I have thrown away over the years ::ashamed:: they are getting expensive in Europe now sad

http://LittleHappyCloud.net KVM VPS with 1TB Bandwidth for €3.00

#2 2017-07-17 04:47:18

WSS
Trusted Member

Re: DOS GAMES/DOSBox .. anyone?

I did some of the primary x86 port for the G4, but I haven't really been active since then.

You thinking of running LoRD or anything else you can easily Telnet->Fossil, or?

My folks may still have a 486, but I donated my entire load of Gravis cards to Trixter about a decade ago.  Goddamn they're worth more than my cars, now!

I'd be happy to take a look- Wing Commander was once a favorite (a decade before the movie).  Lemmings, OMF2097, and DOS-only stuff, welp.. lots of things just lost. hmm

RbyeR4Nm.png

#3 2017-07-17 11:38:54

Backtogeek
Low End Boss
Website

s9HZvcn.png

I setup a 1mb kvm with 66mhz and an emulated cirrus card installed dos 6.22 and ran prince of pursia over html5 vnc, plays like native and lag free haha.

mikho had a go, he can verify smile

The biggest issue I ran in to was getting a packet driver installed for the e1000 or the RTL8139 it kept refusing due to the rom size being wrong (kvm emulation issue) so I am not sure how to get around that, its a fun project though, I am seriously considering getting an old cheapo dedi to start doing DOS 6.22 VM's smile, maybe freedos makes more sense but I would rather stay as authentic as possible.

If anyone wants to join in on the project when/if I get it running I am happy to provide the hardware and resources, I think keeping it very seperate from LES/inception would be best though.

http://LittleHappyCloud.net KVM VPS with 1TB Bandwidth for €3.00

#4 2017-07-18 04:43:23

mikho
Low End Mod
Website

I can verify that I still suck at that game, it was a painful reminder why I stopped playing computer games long ago.

On the other hand, it worked as expected and I laughed when I connected via VNC.

#5 2017-07-21 05:58:06

WSS
Trusted Member

DR-DOS

RbyeR4Nm.png

#6 2017-07-22 02:03:35

WSS
Trusted Member

Keyboard was misbehaving on phone last night.

Caldera released DR-DOS as essentially free at one time, including the source.  It's still much more compatible to MS-DOS than FreeDOS is, and install images of floppies are readily available.

If you're going to do something like this, I'd probably emulate your standard generic ne2k card and use a generic packet driver for that.  Also, this might be a fun way to setup DesQview, your favorite BBS, and share doors over virtual serial ports.. wink

RbyeR4Nm.png

Board footer