#1 2014-06-02 13:48:43

nic1294

How to install a TeamSpeak 3 server on your VPS

Hi! Have you just bought a brand new LES vps? Would you like to run a TS3 server for your friends and you to voice-chat on?
Well, this is your lucky day: I'm gonna teach you how to do it, step by step, from the very beginning smile

1. Install the Operating System
After buying your vps you should receive an e-mail with "Your New VPS Details (READ IN FULL)" as subject (check you spam folder too!).
Read it carefully and completely. The interesting part - for now - is the "VPS SolusVM Control Panel" section: you'll find the URL to access the SolusVM Control Panel and your username (the password is the one you chose during sign up).
Head straight to it and login. Click on the hostname of the vps you would like to install the TS3 server on.
IMG1

You can now change your Operating System (OS) if you want to: I changed mine to Debian 7 64 bit Minimal (if you don't change it some steps in this tutorial may not work for you). Go to "General" in the "Controls" section and click "Reinstall".
IMG2

Choose Debian 7 64 bit Minimal and click "Reinstall" (do you really need a screenshot for this? wink).
Allow up to 10 minutes for changes to take effect.

2. Get SSH access to your vps
You will need a SSH client. If you are using Windows, I suggest KiTTY, a PuTTY fork.
Click "Serial Console", above the usage stats in the SolusVM Control Panel.
IMG3

1 Hour is more than enough, click "Create Session".
IMG4

Open your SSH client, enter the details you just obtained (address and port) and press enter to connect.
IMG5

Hit "Yes" when the "KiTTY Security Alert" pops out.
When asked to "login as", write the username you obtained before and press enter. Do the same for the password (you'll not see the characters while you're typing - that's normal). Avoid to copy-paste in the SSH client if you don't know how to do it.

You'll now want to know what your NAT IP is and what ports can you use. Open the e-mail you received again and scroll to the "Server Details" section.
Write down your Main IP. Now go to the "IPv4 NAT IP Information" section and find your external NAT IP as per istructions ("X" means "any number"). This (NAT IP) is the address you will be using to connect to your TS3 server. The ports are quite easy to find. Take the last octet of your Main IP (the numbers after the last dot) and add 01, 02, ... , 20 (it's explained better and with examples in the e-mail).
Choose a port, let's say the one ending with 02.
In your SSH client type: "nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config" without quotes and press enter.
Use the arrow keys to move the cursor and change the first line according to the port you chose before.
IMG6

Press Ctrl-O, enter, and then Ctrl-X to save changes and quit the text editor.
Type "/etc/init.d/ssh restart" without quotes in your SSH client and press enter to restart the SSH server and apply the changes.
Close your SSH client and open it again. Connect now to your NAT IP and the port you chose before (hit "Yes" when the "KiTTY Security Alert" pops out).

Login as "root" (again, without quotes) and use the password you chose during sign up.
IMG7

Great, you know have SSH access!

3. Install TeamSpeak 3 server
You didn't close your SSH client, did you? wink
Type "adduser -disabled-login ts3user" (without quotes) and press enter 7 times (default values are just fine). We created a new user as it's not safe to run TeamSpeak as root.
Type "cd /home" (without quotes) and press enter.
You now have to download TeamSpeak 3 server. The latest version as I'm writing is 3.0.10.3. Change the following commands accordingly if it has changed.
Type "wget http://dl.4players.de/ts/releases/3.0.10.3/teamspeak3-server_linux-amd64-3.0.10.3.tar.gz" (without quotes) and press enter.
Type "tar -xvzf teamspeak3-server_*" (without quotes) and press enter to extract the files we need.
Type "mv teamspeak3-server_linux-amd64 ts3user" (without quotes) and press enter to move the TS3 folder inside the user folder.
Type "chown -R ts3user.ts3user ts3user/" (without quotes) and press enter to give the user the right permissions over the TS3 files.
Type "cd ts3user/ts3user" (without quotes) and press enter to go in the TS3 server folder.
Type "nano /etc/init.d/teamspeak3.se" (without quotes) and press enter to open a new file (to start TS3 automatically at system start up).
Copy the following script and paste it in your SSH client by right-clicking in it (thanks to http://teamspeak3.se/linux-howto-teamspeak3/):

#! /bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          teamspeak
# Required-Start:    networking
# Required-Stop:
# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:      S 0 1 6
# Short-Description: TeamSpeak Server Daemon
# Description:       Starts/Stops/Restarts the TeamSpeak Server Daemon
### END INIT INFO

set -e

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
DESC="TeamSpeak Server"
NAME=ts3user
USER=ts3user
DIR=/home/ts3user/ts3user/
DAEMON=$DIR/ts3server_startscript.sh
#PIDFILE=/var/run/$NAME.pid
SCRIPTNAME=/etc/init.d/$NAME

# Gracefully exit if the package has been removed.
test -x $DAEMON || exit 0

cd $DIR
sudo -u ts3user ./ts3server_startscript.sh $1

Type "chmod 755 /etc/init.d/teamspeak3.se" (without quotes) and press enter to set the right permission for this script.
Type "apt-get install sudo" (without quotes) and press enter to install sudo.
Type "/etc/init.d/teamspeak3.se start" (without quotes) and press enter to start your new TS3 server!
Pay attention and write down the "loginname", the "password" and the "token=".
Press enter.
IMG8

You now have to choose the voice and the file transfer port for your TS3 server (the former is the one you need to use along with the NAT IP to connect to your TS3 server) from the range of port you can use, for example the ones ending with 12 and 11.
Type "nano ts3server_startscript.sh" (without quotes) and press enter.
Change the "COMMANDLINE_PARAMETERS" line with this one (write you port numbers instead of 45612 and 45611, and your TS3 password - the one you got with the token - instead of PASSWORDHERE)
COMMANDLINE_PARAMETERS="${4} default_voice_port=45612 filetransfer_port=45611 filetransfer_ip=0.0.0.0 serveradmin_password=PASSWORDHERE"

It's not over yet!
Type "apt-get install telnet" (without quotes) and press enter to install telnet.
Type "telnet localhost 10011" (without quotes) and press enter.
Type "login serveradmin PASSWORDHERE" (without quotes) and press enter (replace PASSWORDHERE with your TS3 password, the one you got with the token).
Type "use 1" (without quotes) and press enter.
Type "serveredit virtualserver_port=45612" (without quotes) and press enter (replace 45612 with the voice port you chose for your TS3 server).
Type "quit" (without quotes) and press enter.
Type "/etc/init.d/teamspeak3.se restart" (without quotes) and press enter to restart your new TS3 server!

DONE! You can now connect to your new TeamSpeak 3 server! The Server Address you need to use is NATIP:VOICEPORT.

When you first connect you'll be prompted to enter a Privilege Key to gain admin powers: enter the token (the part after the equal symbol).
You can close you SSH client now and enjoy some fun times with your friends smile

If you have any question just write them here!

A special thanks to Anthony who helped me when I was having problems buying my first LES vps smile

Last edited by nic1294 (2014-10-02 08:09:16)

#2 2014-06-02 16:04:21

Nyr
Trusted Member

Re: How to install a TeamSpeak 3 server on your VPS

Very noob friendly tutorial, I'm sure many people will thank you for your effort smile

#3 2014-06-02 16:13:14

Backtogeek
Low End Boss
Website

Nice one thanks for posting smile

makes me think a les wiki is in order!

http://LittleHappyCloud.net KVM VPS with 1TB Bandwidth for €3.00

#4 2014-07-25 03:06:20

multimill
Trusted Member

You need to check the link of the page where you got the script from. You need to remove the ")" from the link, its not working atm

And by the way: Can anyone explain me why they use an "teamspeak3.se" instead of an normal "teamspeak3.sh"?

#5 2014-10-02 08:16:16

nic1294

multimill wrote:

You need to check the link of the page where you got the script from. You need to remove the ")" from the link, its not working atm

And by the way: Can anyone explain me why they use an "teamspeak3.se" instead of an normal "teamspeak3.sh"?

I'm sorry, I wasn't subscribed to this topic so I missed your reply yikes

I fixed the ")" in the link, thanks! smile

As for why they use .se instead of .sh, I really don't know, I ain't no linux guru big_smile
It worked, so I never really bothered, but my guess is it works regardless of the extension smile

#6 2014-12-09 17:05:39

Borland

Hi, all.
A month ago, installed TS.
Everything works fine until today, including PCs in the morning and tried to connect to the server and received message a 'Failed to connect to server'.
What could be the problem?
Not license for 32 slots.

Last edited by Borland (2014-12-09 17:12:34)

#7 2014-12-09 17:49:57

nic1294

Borland wrote:

Hi, all.

hey smile

Borland wrote:

A month ago, installed TS.
Everything works fine until today, including PCs in the morning and tried to connect to the server and received message a 'Failed to connect to server'.
What could be the problem?

well, it could be anything for all we know yikes
make sure your ts3 server instance is running: login via ssh, type "top", and look for ts3 in the processes.

if it's not running, you can try to start it manually by typing "/etc/init.d/teamspeak3.se start" and see if that helps smile

Last edited by nic1294 (2014-12-09 17:50:08)

#8 2014-12-09 18:33:27

Borland

nic1294 wrote:
Borland wrote:

Hi, all.

hey smile

well, it could be anything for all we know yikes
make sure your ts3 server instance is running: login via ssh, type "top", and look for ts3 in the processes.

if it's not running, you can try to start it manually by typing "/etc/init.d/teamspeak3.se start" and see if that helps smile

Thanks for the answer!
I've tried everything and even reinstalled everything from the ground up.
But nothing works sad

In the running processes have TS.
Moreover I connect to Serverquery through YaTQA and there writes that the server is turned on and online. But in graphs Tranfered data since start, Tranfered packages since start, Ended File Traffic This Month, Current File Traffic Since start and Total Ended File Traffic writes the value invalid.
Strange because before that everything worked like clockwork.

Last edited by Borland (2014-12-10 02:41:16)

#9 2014-12-10 02:40:05

Borland

Solved the problem by setting up and running directly TS, without script teamspeak3.se.

Last edited by Borland (2014-12-10 02:41:25)

#10 2014-12-15 15:59:40

Tripleflix
Trusted Member

Cheers for this, i now have a TS server running on my VPS, what do you guys think is the max clients that can be run on a server with only 128 mb ram?

#11 2014-12-16 00:06:45

multimill
Trusted Member

Tried 32 Slots... No problems. Never tried it with my NPL but i think sth like 50 should work. The ram usage should be no problem but the CPU usage might be a problem.

#12 2015-02-01 18:41:16

BoB

Hello, how can i set the query port?

#13 2015-02-06 21:45:36

multimill
Trusted Member

You can set it permanently with an Inifile.

Just google it. Couldnt find any english tutorial this fast. Just some german ones.

#14 2015-05-02 23:19:09

BELZI
Trusted Member

I’ve set query, voice and file transfer ports, but filetransfer port doesn’t work. Any ideas ?

#15 2015-07-14 19:50:51

Backtogeek
Low End Boss
Website

Using part of this guide I have actually just created and released a TS3 template for LES users, worked around the telnet annoyance as expect is a PITA the variables with some port redirection and it works fine out of the box.

Template available for everyone now smile

#16 2015-07-20 08:48:48

matadeleo
Trusted Member

Backtogeek wrote:

Using part of this guide I have actually just created and released a TS3 template for LES users, worked around the telnet annoyance as expect is a PITA the variables with some port redirection and it works fine out of the box.

Was running a TS3 server that had some intermittent problems, reinstalled VPS using the TS3 template and haven't had any issues since smile thanks

#17 2015-07-20 10:06:16

Backtogeek
Low End Boss
Website

Nice one, I cant see any reason the template would resolve any issues, it essentially just follows this guide for you haha.

#18 2015-07-20 10:20:30

Marl
Trusted Member

matadeleo wrote:
Backtogeek wrote:

Was running a TS3 server that had some intermittent problems, reinstalled VPS using the TS3 template and haven't had any issues since smile thanks

hi, if it doesn't bother you, can you tell me what is the memory usage on your teamspeak server? i'm planning to get one but at the same time i'm gonna host 1 low traffic site on lnmp. thanks.

#19 2015-07-20 11:40:17

Backtogeek
Low End Boss
Website

Idle the template uses around 12 mb from memory, with active users I have no idea, I don't have time to play games sad

#20 2015-07-20 16:05:59

matadeleo
Trusted Member

Backtogeek wrote:

Nice one, I cant see any reason the template would resolve any issues, it essentially just follows this guide for you haha.

You underestimate my ability to mess things up, I'm even worse when I'm out of my depth smile

I believe I was scared off of using this guide for my original TS3, as the download link is/wasn't active any more. Ended up in a worse position by using 2 separate guides and a lot of guesswork to fill the gaps I found along the road.

Has been pretty cool tho. A few months ago I honestly didn't know what a server was, I have no background in IT. At the moment I have a TS3 running, a website, backup server and a 'test' server that I'm using alongside WAMP to teach myself PHP.

#21 2015-07-20 16:15:24

matadeleo
Trusted Member

Marl wrote:
matadeleo wrote:

hi, if it doesn't bother you, can you tell me what is the memory usage on your teamspeak server? i'm planning to get one but at the same time i'm gonna host 1 low traffic site on lnmp. thanks.

As Backtogeek said it usually idles around 12-13mb, with a few users this goes up to around 17mb. The highest I've seen it go is 31mb. Hope this helps smile I don't think it would be a problem

#22 2015-07-20 18:17:03

Marl
Trusted Member

thanks. is yours working with the icon uploading?

bought 1 earlier and now i got it working.

one problem, i tried to upload icons but i got this:

<02:04:32> Transfer "icon_2574523561" reports: (could not open file transfer connection)
<02:04:32> Transfer "icon_2601494792" reports: (could not open file transfer connection)
<02:04:32> Transfer "icon_349416454" reports: (could not open file transfer connection)

i downloaded the icons on my other ts and uploaded it manually to this one (change permission and owner) and still showing some file transfer problems, something like this:

<02:11:12> Transfer "icon_4057980643" reports: (file transfer limit reached)
<02:11:12> Transfer "icon_2628598489" reports: (file transfer limit reached)
<02:11:12> Transfer "icon_744170278" reports: (file transfer limit reached)

search on google, on ts forums it was mentioned these 3 ports need to be opened:

as i can see on the script, files and voice is the only forwarded.

#23 2015-07-20 18:54:34

matadeleo
Trusted Member

Marl wrote:

<02:04:32> Transfer "icon_2574523561" reports: (could not open file transfer connection)
<02:04:32> Transfer "icon_2601494792" reports: (could not open file transfer connection)
<02:04:32> Transfer "icon_349416454" reports: (could not open file transfer connection)

i downloaded the icons on my other ts and uploaded it manually to this one (change permission and owner) and still showing some file transfer problems, something like this:

search on google, on ts forums it was mentioned these 3 ports need to be opened:

Hi, I hadn't previously tried to upload any icons but I just tried now for you. I also get the same error.

However I believe if you change your TS3 ip:port to end in 10 instead of 09, you should be able to FTP to the TS3, upload the icon pack there and then select from local icons

Last edited by matadeleo (2015-07-20 18:54:57)

#24 2015-07-20 19:39:32

Marl
Trusted Member

matadeleo wrote:
Marl wrote:

Hi, I hadn't previously tried to upload any icons but I just tried now for you. I also get the same error.

However I believe if you change your TS3 ip:port to end in 10 instead of 09, you should be able to FTP to the TS3, upload the icon pack there and then select from local icons

tried the "end in 10" but doesn't work out.

#25 2015-07-20 20:01:56

matadeleo
Trusted Member

Marl wrote:
matadeleo wrote:

tried the "end in 10" but doesn't work out.

I will try it myself tomorrow when I have time and I will update you in PM if I can figure it out, so to not spam the forums. Maybe one of the veteran guys can think of a solution in the meantime smile

Board footer