#1 2016-09-27 10:02:33

LowEnder
Trusted Member

ip6tables errors when trying to set policy

Starting to replace my virtwire VPS i finally got a new one in france from MSP. So i started to set it up but soon ran into the following issue when trying to configure my firewall:

[email protected]:~# ip6tables -P INPUT DROP
ip6tables: Invalid argument. Run `dmesg' for more information.

I am seriously lost here. Setting the policy for INPUT to DROP is an invalid argument? Looking at dmesg seems pointless as its empty which i guess is normal on OpenVZ? Also this is not the only setting ip6tables thinks to have an invalid argument. This is just the one that baffles me most since its such a basic thing. Actually it seems to think there is invalid arguments in pretty much anything besides a plain 'ip6tables -X'.

Am i overlooking something here? Any pointers?

#2 2016-09-29 10:45:42

LowEnder
Trusted Member

Re: ip6tables errors when trying to set policy

Seems i found the reason. When running into the same problem on a different VPS where i actually wanted to use ipv6 i decided to try different OS images. Didn't have to try for long since Wheezy 64bit seems to work flawlesly where Wheezy 32bit won't. Looking back i probably should have mentioned using Wheezy 32bit but to me its such an obvious choice i simply didn't think of it hmm I guess it's an OpenVZ thing since this happend to me on 2 different VPS with quite different images. So if anyone runs into this in the future it might be time to quit trying to squeeze out those last couple bytes of ram by using 32bit wink

Last edited by LowEnder (2016-09-29 10:47:14)

Board footer