#1 2015-09-05 12:28:54

LowEnder
Trusted Member

Good service / new locations

Everythings great. Happy costumer here smile

Just posting these as food for thought if someone (ok, i admit i am hoping a bit for evoburst but i know they just added sweden) feels like expanding again.

Switzerland, liechtenstein:
Very nice locations in every single way but i fear they are to expensive.

Russia, ukraine:
Nice connectivity but reputation isnt that great. Besides, ukraine is not exactly stable right now.

Serbia, bosnia, moldova:
Exotic but a bit far off so probably not that great connectivity also i am not sure if moldova can be called stable.

#2 2015-09-06 03:42:09

willie
Trusted Member

Re: Good service / new locations

Or for something different in terms of hardware, I've been playing a little with scaleway.com dedicated servers: a quad core ARM dedicated server with 2GB ram, 50gb SSD, and 200mbit unmetered network, for 3 euro/month.  The cpu is a Marvell SOC like you'd find in a mobile phone, comparable to a midrange Atom cpu or a model 2 Raspberry pi.  It might be cool to put 20 or so 96mb LES containers on one of those, each with 2gb of disk.  Unfortunately they don't currently have ipv6 though they say they are working on it.  But NAT ipv4 would conceivably work.  You can try one for 30 minutes with no registration at http://instantcloud.io .

Last edited by willie (2015-09-06 03:44:00)

#3 2015-09-06 05:24:56

yomero
Trusted Member

willie wrote:

Or for something different in terms of hardware, I've been playing a little with scaleway.com dedicated servers: a quad core ARM dedicated server with 2GB ram, 50gb SSD, and 200mbit unmetered network, for 3 euro/month.  The cpu is a Marvell SOC like you'd find in a mobile phone, comparable to a midrange Atom cpu or a model 2 Raspberry pi.  It might be cool to put 20 or so 96mb LES containers on one of those, each with 2gb of disk.  Unfortunately they don't currently have ipv6 though they say they are working on it.  But NAT ipv4 would conceivably work.  You can try one for 30 minutes with no registration at http://instantcloud.io .

I am not sure if you can run openvz in these things, but probably won't be that easy. And the native ipv6, since IIRC is a requirement for LES, won't work. But getting an HE tunnel for this should be possible.

#4 2015-09-06 09:29:50

RyanB
Trusted Member

Well, I personally have looked at both Switzerland and Moldova. but getting CH in a DC that isn't PrivateLayer and within a certain budget is actually quite hard, although is on the list of locations i want.

Moldova, I would say wouldn't actually be that popular, well.. would be less than Romania directly even though the only provider i would consider there is HostEasy/Trabia.

But, I do believe (please correct me if I'm wrong oh great Mr Smith. - Note: Could somehow now be related by marriage now! :-O) that Anthony was planning on Russia (just getting knocked around by the provider he was looking at, and then Romania too IIRC.

But, as you say.. yes.. just added Sweden, personally thought it would go a lot better than it has so far.. but.. beggars can't be choosers :-P

#5 2015-09-06 10:49:56

Backtogeek
Low End Boss
Website

Always looking, Russia was a let down over and over again, these days I look for locations I can use LES and LHC on together.

http://LittleHappyCloud.net KVM VPS with 1TB Bandwidth for €3.00

#6 2015-09-06 12:22:42

LowEnder
Trusted Member

Wow, nice to hear about switzerland and moldova. I have to admit mentioning liechtenstein was a bit of daydreaming anyways (seemed quite hard even find DCs/hosters there and none of them had any public server offers which i translate to "ask us if you like hearing long numbers"). Not sure whats the big appeal of romania. Offers there are plenty and personally id choose moldova over romania any day but then thats just me and other people might have other preferences. Side note: While looking at moldova i came across alexhost which seems to get connectivity from someone called araxinfo and has surprisingly short routes/good latency. I have no experience with them but their routing really stuck out - about 20ms less latency for me than hosteasy.

Also probably going to get sweden once i feel like setting up another vps. Sadly its a bit far off which costs me precious latency but its still a pretty nice location and with a service/price like this theres really no point in passing on it even if i just run a couple of tests and decide to let it sit idle afterwards smile

Last edited by LowEnder (2015-09-06 12:24:39)

#7 2015-09-06 13:50:23

RyanB
Trusted Member

Alexhost has no IPv6 connectivity at all, and according to their staff do not plan to offer this anytime soon. (last time i heard at least)

Pretty much, the only provider in Moldova I would go with is HostEasy, Sven is a really nice guy I've previously had a few servers there for other projects.

Lichtenstein, there aren't many options at all, And talked to someone a while ago, who came up with most providers (very few there) will provide space and power... you bring your own network. which isn't really an option.

#8 2015-09-06 15:49:09

LowEnder
Trusted Member

Ouch, i can see how no IPv6 is a total deal breaker here. All i can say is what a waste of a nice network... I am almost tempted to dig around if there is some slightly more futureproof company connected to arexinfo but i agree that positive experience goes a long way and i would always prefer to work with people i know too.

Colocation not being possible is pretty obvious. From hardware costs to shipping and paying onsite techs to get it set up (if thats even possible - i have never done colocation). Just not feasible. Besides in the end liechtenstein space/bandwidth is probably still to be paid in golden arms, legs or kidneys and i guess they have enough clients whos monthly postage budget exceeds the proceeds of organ harvesting a small village to not be very open to bargaining wink

#9 2015-09-07 02:42:45

willie
Trusted Member

At this point I feel like there's enough European locations.  It's more interesting to have different features, like ARM servers, pure SSD, etc.  I don't know the situation with running OpenVZ on the Scaleway ARM servers but they run Docker, which I think is an LXC wrapper, which is getting to be more like OpenVZ in terms of container isolation, so maybe it will become usable for hosting.  I expect they will have faster ARM servers fairly soon (and ipv6), though I don't know if the cost and RAM will fit LES requirements.

I don't especially feel a need for KVM but I guess it's nice to have it available.

Last edited by willie (2015-09-07 03:02:34)

#10 2015-09-07 10:22:11

LowEnder
Trusted Member

Yes, i admit there a quite a few EU locations already but at least DE/FR/NL are nothing special. Good locations but nothing special and also rather clustered in one place. The only one that sticks out so far is SE (as far as that one counts - sweden is in the european union at least). I think DE1 (their network has positively surprised me more than once and i would have never tried them otherwise) and NL (which i havent tried yet) deserve a honorable mention for not being on networks you see every day though.

As for ARM i dont know... I guess in some way its cool to know you are running on some interesting piece of hardware and i wouldnt mind giving low end providers a bit of a better margin but beyond that it doesnt really matter much to me. I can install debian on ARM or i can install debian on x86 and both feel exactly like... debian. Well, maybe i am just not much of a hardware guy. I dont know.

#11 2015-09-08 03:07:48

willie
Trusted Member

I guess you're right about ARM.  Its attractions are 1) burning cpu all day long (not good with any VPS); 2) needing an ARM box to occasionally compile or test something (can do with Scaleway 0.6 cent per hour cloud billing as needed); 3) Running a lot of parallel servers (not a LES thing either).  KVM really is an interesting development, I just haven't figured out what to do with it so I don't have one yet.  You're right about DE1 having some interesting routing.  I haven't noticed with NL but I'm not that attuned.  Things like POTS gateways in the different countries would be interesting but I guess not feasible in LES.

#12 2016-11-11 06:06:28

maxcburger
Banned

Thanks for discussing this useful topic here, I got complete reference through this post.

#13 2016-11-29 06:54:12

kipjmejia
Banned

Thanks for sharing

Board footer