#1 2016-02-28 22:39:43

edocod
Trusted Member

Adding support for OpenNIC domains

Hi,

It would be great if you could be able to add support for OpenNIC domain extensions - since they're pretty handy for free (as in freedom and also as in beer) domains to host small projects n such.

https://www.opennicproject.org/

Currently the project has many public dns servers all over the world who provide a pretty good service (i found it faster than Google's 8.8.8.8 on my network, and they don't store logs)

The available domains, as of today, are:

.bit
    .bbs
    .chan
    .dyn
    .free
    .fur
    .geek
    .gopher
    .indy
    .neo
    .null
    .oss
    .oz
    .parody
    .pirate

When i try to add my own domain it gets rejected by SolusVM saying that the "domain is invalid".

#2 2016-02-29 07:15:14

willie
Trusted Member

Re: Adding support for OpenNIC domains

It shouldn't matter what you put in solus.  Nothing stops you from putting the OpenNIC dns servers into your /etc/resolv.conf .

#3 2016-02-29 07:20:38

edocod
Trusted Member

I know, but what if I want to host a website on an opennic domain? I can't set the http proxy amd get the requests to my ip.

#4 2016-02-29 07:27:15

Backtogeek
Low End Boss
Website

interesting, I will look in to that.

http://LittleHappyCloud.net KVM VPS with 1TB Bandwidth for €3.00

#5 2016-02-29 19:19:07

Nyr
Trusted Member

edocod wrote:

Currently the project has many public dns servers all over the world who provide a pretty good service (i found it faster than Google's 8.8.8.8 on my network, and they don't store logs)

They do provide DNS ran by amateurs. You need to trust randoms on the Internet to resolve your queries in good faith, to maintain the uptime, and to comply with their promise of not storing logs.

I know the project has quite a bit of followers, but the idea is bad by design: I could run a server and hijack some queries to (for example) your bank. Sorry but I prefer to use DNS from a reliable ISP instead.

#6 2016-02-29 19:52:24

edocod
Trusted Member

Nyr wrote:

I know the project has quite a bit of followers, but the idea is bad by design: I could run a server and hijack some queries to (for example) your bank. Sorry but I prefer to use DNS from a reliable ISP instead.

You are free to use what you want, but I use OpenNIC because I trust them and I like the service they provide.

Some people decide to be hijacked by their ISP, they provide an alternative to that. You don't have to trust them if you don't want to, you need OpenNIC public servers only to use the additional domains extensions.

Given the low-cost nature of LowEndSpirit servers, having the option of using OpenNIC domains (who are free) would be pretty nice. You don't need to change anything dns-related from your part, just whitelist the extensions so they can be used with the proxy.

Last edited by edocod (2016-02-29 19:53:18)

#7 2016-02-29 19:56:56

Nyr
Trusted Member

edocod wrote:
Nyr wrote:

You are free to use what you want, but I use OpenNIC because I trust them and I like the service they provide.

Some people decide to be hijacked by their ISP, they provide an alternative to that. You don't have to trust them if you don't want to, you need OpenNIC public servers only to use the additional domains extensions.

Given the low-cost nature of LowEndSpirit servers, having the option of using OpenNIC domains (who are free) would be pretty nice. You don't need to change anything dns-related from your part, just whitelist the extensions so they can be used with the proxy.

The problem with OpenNIC is that you aren't trusting the project itself, you are trusting the individual who happens to run the nearest server to you.

Yes, I agree that whitelisting their extensions is fine and I don't see why it would be a problem to get it done smile

#8 2016-02-29 20:15:26

edocod
Trusted Member

Nyr wrote:

The problem with OpenNIC is that you aren't trusting the project itself, you are trusting the individual who happens to run the nearest server to you.

That's why TIER1 and TIER2 servers exist. I use only TIER1 servers since they are "official" (one of them is actually ran by a guy i know and i trust, so yeah, i just use that one).

#9 2016-02-29 20:46:00

Nyr
Trusted Member

edocod wrote:

That's why TIER1 and TIER2 servers exist. I use only TIER1 servers since they are "official" (one of them is actually ran by a guy i know and i trust, so yeah, i just use that one).

So where can I find a list of those Tier 1 servers? The official list doesn't seem to work and when I click on "Tier 1" it just redirects me to "Tier 2". Are Tier 1 servers supposed to be used as recursors by the end user?

I'm asking because I actually considering donating to this guys a long time ago and it just didn't seemed like a mature project at the time.

#10 2016-02-29 20:58:41

edocod
Trusted Member

When you open the servers list it's already in the TIER1 view.

noBK8Lf.png

Anyway, I read on IRC that they're having some issues with that server list (session management/database if i understood correctly) so whatever it's broken, they're fixing it.

#11 2016-03-01 13:00:00

0x004a
Trusted Member

Thanks for pointing this out @Nyr & @edocod. Initially assumed the two resolvers produced for you by the website were the best to use. But now picking two of those listed above seems best then.

#12 2016-03-01 16:34:25

Nyr
Trusted Member

edocod wrote:

Anyway, I read on IRC that they're having some issues with that server list (session management/database if i understood correctly) so whatever it's broken, they're fixing it.

It is certainly broken right now and not only for me: http://archive.is/MTYtx

Anyway thanks for the clarification.

#13 2016-03-02 20:43:54

edocod
Trusted Member

Nyr wrote:

It is certainly broken right now and not only for me: http://archive.is/MTYtx.

It has always worked for me, i don't know why. Maybe they're hijacking me to a working page tongue

#14 2017-02-03 23:51:49

Witmarkvep
Trusted Member

Thank you. I wanted to write the same reply. With OMEMO support, I could directly remove all other messengers. But I want to use Miranda and 90 of my contacts use Miranda.

Board footer