#1 2017-07-14 16:58:17

Backtogeek
Low End Boss
Website

DOS GAMES/DOSBox .. anyone?

Anyone like/use dosbox, I have been watching https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLx053 … WsBETgdKrQ recently and it gave me some nostalgia, just reading through the dosbox manual and spotted that you can emulate a serial link/null modem over the wan for lan link like multi player.

Anyone else interested in that kind of stuff?

I found a collection of almost 18GB of DOS games, been testing some out and might even be a real nerd and find myself a 486... I can't believe how many I have thrown away over the years ::ashamed:: they are getting expensive in Europe now sad

http://LittleHappyCloud.net KVM VPS with 1TB Bandwidth for €3.00

#2 2017-07-17 04:47:18

WSS
Trusted Member

Re: DOS GAMES/DOSBox .. anyone?

I did some of the primary x86 port for the G4, but I haven't really been active since then.

You thinking of running LoRD or anything else you can easily Telnet->Fossil, or?

My folks may still have a 486, but I donated my entire load of Gravis cards to Trixter about a decade ago.  Goddamn they're worth more than my cars, now!

I'd be happy to take a look- Wing Commander was once a favorite (a decade before the movie).  Lemmings, OMF2097, and DOS-only stuff, welp.. lots of things just lost. hmm

A signature is a small piece of text that is attached to your posts. In it, you can enter just about anything you like. Perhaps you would like to enter your favourite quote or your star sign.

#3 2017-07-17 11:38:54

Backtogeek
Low End Boss
Website

s9HZvcn.png

I setup a 1mb kvm with 66mhz and an emulated cirrus card installed dos 6.22 and ran prince of pursia over html5 vnc, plays like native and lag free haha.

mikho had a go, he can verify smile

The biggest issue I ran in to was getting a packet driver installed for the e1000 or the RTL8139 it kept refusing due to the rom size being wrong (kvm emulation issue) so I am not sure how to get around that, its a fun project though, I am seriously considering getting an old cheapo dedi to start doing DOS 6.22 VM's smile, maybe freedos makes more sense but I would rather stay as authentic as possible.

If anyone wants to join in on the project when/if I get it running I am happy to provide the hardware and resources, I think keeping it very seperate from LES/inception would be best though.

http://LittleHappyCloud.net KVM VPS with 1TB Bandwidth for €3.00

#4 2017-07-18 04:43:23

mikho
Low End Mod
Website

I can verify that I still suck at that game, it was a painful reminder why I stopped playing computer games long ago.

On the other hand, it worked as expected and I laughed when I connected via VNC.

#5 2017-07-21 05:58:06

WSS
Trusted Member

DR-DOS

A signature is a small piece of text that is attached to your posts. In it, you can enter just about anything you like. Perhaps you would like to enter your favourite quote or your star sign.

#6 2017-07-22 02:03:35

WSS
Trusted Member

Keyboard was misbehaving on phone last night.

Caldera released DR-DOS as essentially free at one time, including the source.  It's still much more compatible to MS-DOS than FreeDOS is, and install images of floppies are readily available.

If you're going to do something like this, I'd probably emulate your standard generic ne2k card and use a generic packet driver for that.  Also, this might be a fun way to setup DesQview, your favorite BBS, and share doors over virtual serial ports.. wink

Board footer