#1 2017-02-15 08:12:19

Backtogeek
Low End Boss
Website

Japan - possible move to Linode

Bon Dia!

A LOT of people have asked about this, I have made contact with Linode to verify a few things and pre justify the IP requirement, while I am waiting to hear back I thought I would ask people here a bit more publicly.

PROS

-If I move japan to Linode it saves a little bit of money which can be used for other locations.

-Everyone gets more bandwidth

-Better IPv6 allocation (possibly a /64 per container)

-APNIC IP's geo-located in japan rather than ARIN IP's geo-located in the USA (as they are currently)

CONS

-Migration work is a pain in the butt, but this would be a controlled migration not a forced or emergency which is never as bad.

-External IPv4's will change

-IPv6 addresses will change

-Few hours of disruption

I am interested to know your opinions no matter how blunt they may be on this as an option.

http://LittleHappyCloud.net KVM VPS with 1TB Bandwidth for €3.00

#2 2017-02-15 11:29:02

Bstrobl
Trusted Member

Re: Japan - possible move to Linode

I would actually nab one if it came with a bit more Bandwidth since I don't have an Asian location right now smile

#3 2017-02-15 12:35:56

willie
Trusted Member

Address changes with reasonable notice are slightly annoying but not a big deal.  I wouldn't weight it too heavily in your decision.  For inbound it's a small matter of updatng DNS.  For outbound I do have some services locked to specific static addresses but I don't use LES for those.  I'm not too concerned about bandwidth or v6 allocation (I use very little) but accuraate geolocation could be useful.

#4 2017-02-15 14:17:26

Backtogeek
Low End Boss
Website

I can also keep the HAproxy running at vultr for a while just pinging the requests over to linode with a static config.

I did just hear back from Linode, they cant promise APIC IP's either they may use ARIN ones, makes little sense.

#5 2017-02-15 19:58:27

Bstrobl
Trusted Member

Backtogeek wrote:

I can also keep the HAproxy running at vultr for a while just pinging the requests over to linode with a static config.

I did just hear back from Linode, they cant promise APIC IP's either they may use ARIN ones, makes little sense.

Is this for ipv6? That would make very little sense. Ipv4 would just be a side effect of address starvation.

#6 2017-02-15 20:58:05

Backtogeek
Low End Boss
Website

That is just for IPv4

#7 2017-05-12 21:55:55

salakis
Trusted Member

Not sure if the idea is still open for discussion, but additional bandwidth sounds like the striking advantage.
Since it's LES, IP change and some downtime should be acceptable for everyone. And who knows, maybe the spare quid could end up in a Sofia LES node by AlphaVPS.

#8 2017-08-20 07:40:22

mva
Trusted Member

by the way, was migration already done, or it is still just a plans?

// I've problems with IPv6 connectivity (well, there is no IPv6 connectivity at all) on my japan VPS, so I'd be happy to move it to the linode location and change the subnets and whatever smile

#9 2017-08-20 11:48:38

mikho
Low End Mod
Website

salakis wrote:

Not sure if the idea is still open for discussion, but additional bandwidth sounds like the striking advantage.
Since it's LES, IP change and some downtime should be acceptable for everyone. And who knows, maybe the spare quid could end up in a Sofia LES node by AlphaVPS.

I offer a Sofia NAT service smile

Offer is posted on LET
https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/1 … rom-3-year

Board footer