#1 2017-09-07 13:31:31

Rick
Trusted Member
Website

Interest for a 3rd party proxy service?

Hi guys,

Sorry for being busy and away from the forums for a while. Though, I haven't forgotten the LES community! Actually, a friend and I had this idea to create a service where LES users can deploy proxies, supporting either websites and websockets and anything Nginx's powerful proxy can do. We would use an external IPv6 address, obviously - at first - whitelisting only a few ranges including those used by the LES nodes. Actually, most of the scripting has already been done and the product is almost ready to be launched. You can pick your own location, instead of being stuck at the IPv4 your LES node has.

The big question: would there be people around who are interested (in beta testing)?

I'd love to hear what you guys think!

Regards,
Rick

#2 2017-09-07 16:49:30

Backtogeek
Low End Boss
Website

Re: Interest for a 3rd party proxy service?

Can you give some real world use cases?

http://LittleHappyCloud.net KVM VPS with 1TB Bandwidth for €3.00

#3 2017-09-07 17:27:28

Rick
Trusted Member
Website

Essentially, it turns down on the same thing as you are offering using HAProxy. What I'd like to do though, is give people the ability to configure multiple nodes to proxy to their server. This would for example allow someone to use a geo DNS and serve their user to the closest proxy which is then pointed at exactly the same server, or quickly switch to a fallback server, in case the first server dies. Aside from simple HTTP proxies, I'd like to add SSL encryption using LE and owned certificates.

#4 2017-09-08 08:50:16

Backtogeek
Low End Boss
Website

Sounds awesome then, happy to support it.

http://LittleHappyCloud.net KVM VPS with 1TB Bandwidth for €3.00

#5 2017-10-04 20:08:29

Rick
Trusted Member
Website

Seems like there's little to no interest from the other users around. It's pretty cool Anthony supports it (actually, if I decide to launch, you need to cancel my cancellation at Inception ;-) ), but I guess it would make more sense if the actual LES community had shared their opinion...

#6 2017-10-04 21:06:25

mikho
Low End Mod
Website

Lets see some real world examples.

#7 2017-10-05 01:32:55

WSS
Trusted Member

You didn't even give the place a month to respond, Richard.  This forum is generally dormant except for a handful of us who just enjoy making Anthony's life a bit more surreal.   I think it's a neat idea, and I'd love to add it to my list of toys.. and I've got several locations I'd be happy to let you use for testing.

However, my NAT stuff usually ends up as a "side project of a side project", so I didn't bother offering anything until I saw more proof of concept.

Also, why bother cancelling?  They cost little to nothing.  One coffee a year! wink

RbyeR4Nm.png

#8 2017-10-05 19:02:59

Rick
Trusted Member
Website

@WSS

First of all, my name's Rick, not Richard ;-) Thanks.

The fact that at least someone active around here has responded positively is what I needed. I know this forum is not that active, but would still be the only place to ask this question.
I currently have my application set up on a €20/mo server, which I could possibly use for other purposes if I were to only use it to serve a handful of people...
The cancellation is regarding a "regular" VM with him, the LES are being kept for now :-)

#9 2017-10-06 01:25:30

WSS
Trusted Member

Sorry Rick.   My Uncle "Rick" is actually Richard.  I do that all the time.

Ant's non-NAT VPS are pretty decently priced, too.  Wonder what we've got coming up for Black Friday!

RbyeR4Nm.png

Board footer