#1 2018-01-31 10:12:07

cochon
Trusted Member

US-NC VPS suspended, puzzled as to why - freecpanelsharedhosting (mrVM

OK, one of my Black Friday bundle freecpanelsharedhosting (mrVM) VPS's has been suspended and I'm baffled as to why. US-NC 172.16.30.13

It's sat idling since BF, just SNMPd and SSH (locked down, PermitRootLogin no), then yesterday I installed [just] pdns-recursor ready for later internal use and 6 hours later the service was suspended.

There are no public facing services running at all yet, and the SNMP (Observium) logs show absolutely no meaningful CPU or network activity in the hours and minutes prior to the suspension.

If I've done bad I have to suffer the consequences, but can I have a hint as to the reason for the suspension, as my other 3 services with the BF deal are still running and I don't want to incur the same there.

Thanks,

Phil

#2 2018-01-31 13:31:21

mikho
Low End Mod
Website

Re: US-NC VPS suspended, puzzled as to why - freecpanelsharedhosting (mrVM

I will take a look right now.   
I haven’t got any notification about a suspension in NC which probably means that it was suspended because CPU usage.

I have a ticket open with Virtualizor about that, they have confirmed that in certain events the VPS is suspended but no notification is sent. 
I have been promised that it will be solved in (hopefully) the next version, if not, a version soon thereafter.
I am working with them, suggesting what information is needed and where to send it.

I’m sorry about this, open a ticket if it ever happens and I’ll look into it asap.

#3 2018-01-31 13:38:58

mikho
Low End Mod
Website

@cochon

Open a ticket with which server it is. There are a few and I know the reason, by heart, for most of them.

#4 2018-01-31 14:58:11

mikho
Low End Mod
Website

Found the vps,
WHMCS sas ACTIVE, Virtualizor says ACTIVE, if I "edit" the vps I see suspended

Virtualizor team and I are looking into the issue

#5 2018-01-31 15:19:08

cochon
Trusted Member

Hi mikho, thanks for looking into it, I meant to say there's absolutely no urgency at all, I'd only just gotten around to finding a useful purpose for it. I was more concerned I'd triggered some audit, but could't begin to guess what.

As a complete aside, when I visit the admin site with clear cookies it's in English, but once I log in it switches to Norwegian, even though my address details say UK. I can't find (because it's now in Norwegian) how to switch back to English, any clues?

Thanks,

Phil

Edit: just to add, the SNMP logs show near zero CPU usage for the 6 hours after I rebooted installed pdns and went to bed, but I suppose it would have been around cron.daily time, what are the thresholds for maxing a core by accident and being suspended?

Last edited by cochon (2018-01-31 15:23:35)

#6 2018-01-31 15:53:55

mikho
Low End Mod
Website

cochon wrote:

Hi mikho, thanks for looking into it, I meant to say there's absolutely no urgency at all, I'd only just gotten around to finding a useful purpose for it. I was more concerned I'd triggered some audit, but could't begin to guess what.

As a complete aside, when I visit the admin site with clear cookies it's in English, but once I log in it switches to Norwegian, even though my address details say UK. I can't find (because it's now in Norwegian) how to switch back to English, any clues?

Thanks,

Phil

Edit: just to add, the SNMP logs show near zero CPU usage for the 6 hours after I rebooted installed pdns and went to bed, but I suppose it would have been around cron.daily time, what are the thresholds for maxing a core by accident and being suspended?

Your languange was set to Norwegian, I've changed it back to english.

Your VPS is unsuspended now but I'll continue to investigate.
I'm in contact with Virtualizor and will talk to the developer team tomorrow about this.   
From what I can see there are no logs created except that your vps is set into a suspended state, which could also mean that it is being migrated. The service is not suspended, the VPS is only "paused".
Adding icing on the cake, no-one gets notified about it. not even virtualizor (the software)....

This is the second time it has happened, that I know of. I hope this can be solved in a near future.

#7 2018-01-31 17:27:46

cochon
Trusted Member

OK Thanks for that, let me know if I can test or run anything from this end.

Looking at the logs, the timeline seems to be the system was running idle until 06:25:00 when the [Debian] cron.daily started, daily just runs logrotate ATM, all 4 logrotate jobs completed cleanly by 06:25:05, the server stopped at 06:25:23.

Even if the service restarts by logrotate had kicked off a process into 100% CPU utilisation, is 20 seconds all it takes to trigger a suspension?

I'll move tomorrow's cron.daily into 'awake time' and watch it run, but I'm doubtful it was really the cause.

Cheers

#8 2018-01-31 20:31:33

mikho
Low End Mod
Website

I’m also doubtful if that was the reason. Like I said, it was not the cpu load limit that was triggered as Virtualizor had no knowledge about the suspended VPS.   

I also tested with another VPS the high load trigger and as expected, burst are ok. You need to really push the limit for a longer time then 20 seconds.   

This was made by OpenVZ (unconfirmed), and by looking at the logs and the state your VPS was in, it was more like it was prepared for a migration between hosts.   

I’ll see what the talks with the dev team will end up with. If we can catch the reason while it is happening.

#9 2018-02-01 04:15:38

WSS
Trusted Member

That's some SolusVM grade shit right there..

RbyeR4Nm.png

Board footer