#1 2018-02-06 16:11:09

skootchies

TS3 on VPS (Newbie)

So, I've never worked or touched anything in a VPS before.

I tried to read and follow the stickied TS3 on VPS installation guide here on LES Forum but I wasn't successful following those steps,
regardless I've managed to install TS3 Server using other sources. My problem is I can't connect to the server using the main ip given, I actually don't know what is wrong or if I have missed anything of importance

What I've done so far:
1). Logged into my.freecpanelsharedhosting.com, used serial console to access ssh
2). Logged into ssh w/putty
3). Using ubuntu 16.04 installed teamspeak3 server + got auto startup working (status check says teamspeak server is running etc.)
4). Tried to use main IP given in my email to connect to ts3 with no luck.

I've tried starting from new, following various other tutorials but whenever I come to connecting to the server I can never connect.
Not sure if I'm using the wrong ports, am I even supposed to use a port to connect to TS3?

I don't know what to do from here or how to get it working, any help would be appreciated

#2 2018-02-07 09:24:22

laurens
Trusted Member

Re: TS3 on VPS (Newbie)

Hi! Given that you succeeded to log in with putty, your vps itself sounds like it's working fine.

What you're likely need to do is change TS3 to use one of the ports forwarded to your machine. Should be in your email which ports are available to you.

Last edited by laurens (2018-02-07 09:24:55)

#3 2018-02-07 14:28:54

skootchies

laurens wrote:

Hi! Given that you succeeded to log in with putty, your vps itself sounds like it's working fine.

What you're likely need to do is change TS3 to use one of the ports forwarded to your machine. Should be in your email which ports are available to you.

Managed to get the server up and running, it was the ports indeed that I needed to fix

More precisely it was these steps I had to do again and rectify the ports I had before (for anyone who runs into same problem and happens to read this post):

Type "nano ts3server_startscript.sh" (without quotes) and press enter.
Change the "COMMANDLINE_PARAMETERS" line with this one (write you port numbers instead of 45612 and 45611, and your TS3 password - the one you got with the token - instead of PASSWORDHERE)
COMMANDLINE_PARAMETERS="${4} default_voice_port=45612 filetransfer_port=45611 filetransfer_ip=0.0.0.0 serveradmin_password=PASSWORDHERE"
Press Ctrl-O, enter, and then Ctrl-X to save changes and quit the text editor.

It's not over yet!
Type "apt-get install telnet" (without quotes) and press enter to install telnet.
Type "telnet localhost 10011" (without quotes) and press enter.
Type "login serveradmin PASSWORDHERE" (without quotes) and press enter (replace PASSWORDHERE with your TS3 password, the one you got with the token).
Type "use 1" (without quotes) and press enter.
Type "serveredit virtualserver_port=45612" (without quotes) and press enter (replace 45612 with the voice port you chose for your TS3 server).
Type "quit" (without quotes) and press enter.
Type "/etc/init.d/teamspeak3.se restart" (without quotes) and press enter to restart your new TS3 server!

text taken from This help page

Thanks @laurens with your comment managed to get it sorted quickly!

#4 2018-02-08 08:24:10

laurens
Trusted Member

Glad to have been of help!

Board footer