#1 2019-03-13 16:31:47

ThomasP
Trusted Member

Inception / Netherlands

Hi,

Ive opened a Ticket #582691 bcs of Packetloss on IPV6 connection on 1 of your hosts.
You Closed it with the Answer thats just ICMP de-prioritization.

Well if its just that i wouldn have opened a ticket wink
The connection is dropping i loose the ssh connection to my Server over ipv6 when this happens and at the same time a traceroue to the server shows packetlos starting at the host.

this happens like 2-3 times per Day.

right now its running fine and there is no packet loss showing up.
so there is also no ICMP de-prioritization happening.

regards,
Thomas

Last edited by ThomasP (2019-03-13 16:36:45)

#2 2019-03-13 16:40:53

AnthonySmith
Low End Boss
Website

Re: Inception / Netherlands

Hi Thomas,

Well that is not how you opened the ticket, you showed me 2 hops of an MTR report only showing ICMP only with no mention of TCP/UDP traffic.

Additionally the MTR showed loss on 1 hop, packet loss (actual loss) will show end to end, I could see from the prior hop that was not the case.

You do not get to make the call on what is getting de-prioritized you simply do not have that much visibility of the network.

You also said it was for a few seconds and a few seconds a few times a day, for 0 SLA service I don't think that is really an issue.

https://upto32.com retro gaming and nostalgia forum that does not take itself to seriously smile

#3 2019-03-13 16:51:33

ThomasP
Trusted Member

AnthonySmith wrote:

Hi Thomas,

Well that is not how you opened the ticket, you showed me 2 hops of an MTR report only showing ICMP only with no mention of TCP/UDP traffic.

True i should have mentioned the dropping SSH connection sry for that.

Additionally the MTR showed loss on 1 hop, packet loss (actual loss) will show end to end, I could see from the prior hop that was not the case.

Yes there is  additional hop my client ip adress with the same amount of loss at this time.

You do not get to make the call on what is getting de-prioritized you simply do not have that much visibility of the network.

i have a Smokeping running to my client ip and well it only shows IMCP Packlet loss when also the SSH Connection is going down.

You also said it was for a few seconds and a few seconds a few times a day, for 0 SLA service I don't think that is really an issue.

Well its just annyoing bcs ssh is rly sensitive on such stuff and since ipv4 is running perfectly it looks like an actual issue.
but its ok i just avoid the ipv6 then.

a nice day to everyone o/

#4 2019-03-13 16:56:50

AnthonySmith
Low End Boss
Website

ssh clients are incredibly forgiving to a few seconds of (remote) packet loss actually, perhaps you may want to try a different client.

https://upto32.com retro gaming and nostalgia forum that does not take itself to seriously smile

#5 2019-03-13 17:02:19

ThomasP
Trusted Member

AnthonySmith wrote:

ssh clients are incredibly forgiving to a few seconds of (remote) packet loss actually, perhaps you may want to try a different client.

Seems Putty not then and im rly used to it.

I use ipv4 then but still monitor my ipv6 connection through smokeping and if the sporadic packetloss should stop some day i might give it a try again.

#6 2019-03-17 17:11:30

WSS
Trusted Member

Hell, I've left ssh running on a local node when doing a network restart remotely, and as long as I don't hit too many buttons, it recovers just fine.

Thomas probably needs a better-than-$50-consumer-grade NAT router; they like to drop connections for any good reason, even if it isn't even at CLOSE_WAIT remotely.

RbyeR4Nm.png

Board footer