#1 2018-05-26 14:53:09

IHeartGaming
Trusted Member

[mrVM] Intermittent outages in Sydney

Hello all,

I don't quite know what to make of this. It seems similar to the issue that Inception's London node was facing at some point. Here are the details.

I have Cloudflare setup in round-robin to randomly point people to any particular server that is hosting my website. I just tweaked the Nginx configuration to have a better setup for adding more websites on my VPS at some point if I desire, but this doesn't seem to be the cause of what's going on.

Cloudflare apparently chose to route me to Sydney for my website as I'm testing it. Instead of getting the default HTML page that should be happening, sometimes the server instead times out and displays a Cloudflare page that the destination is unreachable. I checked on Uptime Robot, and this node is the only one that's had uptime issues in brief intermittent moments, and, sure enough, checking each server via IPv6 showed that Sydney was offline for me.

I'm currently pinging my VPS's IPv6 and the Sydney looking glass, and both seem to drop off at random. It could be down for one ping, a minute, or anything in between until it comes back up. This isn't just my network, as I got errors during the minute of downtime on the Norway looking glass. Uptime Robot is reporting that Sydney consistently has around 98% uptime with random periods of downtime lasting less than a minute to five minutes.

If there's anything that I can do on my VPS to figure out the root cause of this, please let me know.

Thanks.

#2 2018-05-26 15:01:09

MM552
MR Status
Website

Re: [mrVM] Intermittent outages in Sydney

Yea it seems to be a issue. With some random 6min outages. https://mm552.xyz/les. It shows up on my status page.

Any drops shown on there are IPV4

Last edited by MM552 (2018-05-26 15:06:44)

#3 2018-05-27 05:53:01

oliau
Low End Boss Down Under

Hey, do you guys mind helping me to test something? I have had odd reports of IPv6 only issues in this POP for a long time but basically not been able to determine the cause or what is going on, despite already investing a LOT of time into it. If you can PM me here with your email address I will just give you a few other IPv6 addresses on an alternate connection in Sydney because I want to know if they too suffer from the same problem (they'll be coming into the network on another path, so I hope not).

#4 2018-05-27 11:01:49

mikho
Low End Mod
Website

MM552 wrote:

Yea it seems to be a issue. With some random 6min outages. https://mm552.xyz/les. It shows up on my status page.

Any drops shown on there are IPV4

I haven't seen any drops on IPv4 except when International traffic was blocked dur to a DDoS attack.
Ipv6 is another story, small drops in traffic, very hard to trouble shoot why and when it happens.

#5 2018-05-27 11:46:11

MM552
MR Status
Website

Yea I looked at my VM and the uptime is fine. "up 46 days" so it must be what you said. I would still like to say that the service is great and I am very happy with it. I will add a IPV6 page to the status page. So we can monitor it as well. For both MRVM and Inception Hosting.

#6 2018-05-27 12:59:17

oliau
Low End Boss Down Under

MM552 check your email please. :-)

#7 2018-05-27 15:48:38

IHeartGaming
Trusted Member

oliau wrote:

Hey, do you guys mind helping me to test something? I have had odd reports of IPv6 only issues in this POP for a long time but basically not been able to determine the cause or what is going on, despite already investing a LOT of time into it. If you can PM me here with your email address I will just give you a few other IPv6 addresses on an alternate connection in Sydney because I want to know if they too suffer from the same problem (they'll be coming into the network on another path, so I hope not).

oliau, I'm happy to help with this. Please shoot me an email at lowendspirit (at) (my username) (dot) win, and I will add the other IPs to my Uptime Robot account. It's been pretty spot on in my experience with what it sees as downtime, so hopefully this will be a relatively easy fix if all goes well.

Thanks!

#8 2018-06-18 03:37:46

oliau
Low End Boss Down Under

Hi guys, have been some large changes today (in the last hour). Can you advise if things look better now please moving forward?

Regards,
Oliver

#9 2018-06-18 07:35:39

MM552
MR Status
Website

Hi. According to my monitor the IPv6 has never gone offline. This is on a 3min interval. If anything changes I will let you know.

Board footer