#1 2019-03-07 16:15:00

tinloaf
Trusted Member

Just got a torrent abuse mail… is somthing fishy going on?

Hi,

I just received a "Torrent Abuse" mail from Inception Hosting. It says "This is a general reminder…" but I wonder whether this indicates that there was torrent traffic from any one of my VPSes. I do not run torrent (obviously), and neither do I use any VPS as tunnel endpoint, i.e., I can rule out the case "I had torrent running and forgot to disconnect from the VPN".

In other words: If torrent traffic is originating from any of my VPSes, something very fishy is going on, something along the lines of one of my VPSes having been pwned. I did a quick check for weird running processes and could see nothing, just trying to make sure.

Was this mail sent out to everyone, or to me specifically?

Thanks for any clarification,
Lukas

#2 2019-03-07 16:46:49

Sendai
Trusted Member

Re: Just got a torrent abuse mail… is somthing fishy going on?

I've also received this mail.
As I understand, it was send as a reminder to everyone to respect the rules/tos. That future disrespecting the rules/tos will lead to an immediate termination without warning for those still causing abuse reports due to torrent activity (even unintended, like forgetting disconnection from their VPNs).

I think it is very sad, that so many customers seems to disrespect the tos and causing trouble for Anthony and maybe all other customers.

#3 2019-03-07 16:49:47

AnthonySmith
Low End Boss
Website

The number of abuse reports have been increasing, despite plenty of warnings pre sign up and post sign up about torrents and the common sense element, it continues, there was 4 this morning alone.

I am a bit tired of dealing with the reports followed by the nonesense excuses so this was sent out as extra fair final warning to everyone, torrents = instant termination from here on out and no further communication will be entertained, tickets will be closed, IP's and emails blocked, forum posts deleted.

https://upto32.com retro gaming and nostalgia forum that does not take itself to seriously smile

#4 2019-03-10 12:31:13

cochon
Trusted Member

AnthonySmith wrote:

this was sent out as extra fair final warning to everyone

Just for info I did NOT receive this e-mail and it isn't in the e-mail history of my account, not that I want or need to be told. I only noticed it in the forum RSS feed. My LES VPS is in Japan if that's relevant, and no I don't do torrenting.

#5 2019-03-10 22:48:54

AnthonySmith
Low End Boss
Website

cochon wrote:
AnthonySmith wrote:

this was sent out as extra fair final warning to everyone

Just for info I did NOT receive this e-mail and it isn't in the e-mail history of my account, not that I want or need to be told. I only noticed it in the forum RSS feed. My LES VPS is in Japan if that's relevant, and no I don't do torrenting.

It was only sent to those using the phoenix USA service as that is where the vast majority of the issues are occurring.

https://upto32.com retro gaming and nostalgia forum that does not take itself to seriously smile

#6 2019-03-12 05:20:38

kramer
Trusted Member

Thanks Ant for being on the ball on this. Any coincidence that latency has improved since the offenders were warned? :-)

#7 2019-03-12 09:08:27

AnthonySmith
Low End Boss
Website

kramer wrote:

Thanks Ant for being on the ball on this. Any coincidence that latency has improved since the offenders were warned? :-)

Probably yes, I used to just montitor for torrent clients, now I am also monitoring people using VPN's and proxies for torrent activity, since sending the email I waited 48 hours, that was more than fair then started the terminations, about 20 people have gone.... all have complained.... le shock!

Board footer