#1 2019-04-26 07:40:38

HardSilicon

VPS hosting 101 without the BS jargon ELI5'd to an already tech-minded

I've never done anything other than shared hosting. People are saying that the new cool thing is to use Digital Ocean or other VPS hosting. I am pretty confident with linux command line (longtime arch user but very well experienced in Fedora, Debian, and Ubuntu, too) and reading documentation. I've never delved into apache or anything like that.

I want to be able to manage websites for myself and a client. Does Digital Ocean allow me to host multiple websites on one server/plan/package/whatever the unit is? 2 or 3 websites that would almost never be visited at the same time, would probably get less than 100 visits a month combined. Static sites only to start with, for sure. (Although I'm curious as well about how I can later expand to maybe dynamic sites? I heard VPS makes it easy to scale like that).

My current conception of the VPS is you get a virtual private server running whatever OS you want, and you can pretty much have unlimited domains (bearing in mind mainly traffic above all else)? (Obviously you have to have a registered domain to start with) I'm guessing I would just point my NameSilo DNS settings over to the Digital Ocean servers and

I guess my main concerns are how do I actually get the server working to host a simple static site? I read that VPS can be secured reasonably easily by installing just a few linux applications, where can I find information about that?

In addition I'm just frustrated by all this meaningless company-specific jargon being thrown at the sysadmins (like cloud, 'droplet', now apparently a website is referred to as an 'app' within DigitalOcean?? Or is that only if the site is dynamic?) I find really annoying because now it's almost like I have to find documentation specifically tailored to my host.

tl;dr - I guess I just need VPS hosting 101 without the BS jargon ELI5'd to an already tech-minded person. I don't get what makes a 'cloud.' I thought that's just your online server... new words for already existing ideas, sigh #marketingdamnyou

PS. the idea here was that it would be at least comparable in price to shared hosting with just a lot more control and flexibility. If this is getting cost-prohibitive, I'd rather just use SiteGround. but if the benefits are really wholesome for only a little more, that's totally something that the clients would prefer

#2 2019-04-26 14:39:59

AnthonySmith
Low End Boss
Website

Re: VPS hosting 101 without the BS jargon ELI5'd to an already tech-minded

ok, vps 101 cutting through the crap.

Think of it as a small physical server.
The limitations compared to having your own physical server are that usually the CPU time is not dedicated to you, the disk performance is also essentially shared with other users.

So you get your 'insert buzz word here' which is a VPS.

You install an OS (usually a single button + selection in a panel that the host runs)

You install apache, you put your static files in /var/www or /var/www/html depending on your distro

open your browser and go to http://123.123.123.123 (use the ip the host gives you)

Done

Then if you want you install mysql and php and make it a bit more dynamic but that is beyond the 101.

https://upto32.com retro gaming and nostalgia forum that does not take itself to seriously smile

Board footer