LowEndSpirit Forum

PLEASE READ

This forum will be gone in 2020 please use: https://talk.lowendspirit.com for news, updates and offers, support will be handled directly by your VPS provider via their ticket system from now on

PLEASE READ

***** Link New Forum Link New Forum Link New Forum Link New Forum Link New Forum Link *****

PLEASE READ

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-28 22:23:01

Bugfinder
Trusted Member

Advice if a NAT VPS would serve my needs

An acquaintance of mine suggested these cheap VPS deals to me. I need advice to understand better how these work and if are good to suit my needs. I currently use VPS from Vultr (10) and OVH (15), which cost me US$ 3.35~5.00 per month. I don't know much about Linux configurations, so I asked a friend to make me a list of commands that I follow in PutTY, every time I need to order a new VPS (they come with CentOS 7 preinstalled). After I install Apache, PHP 7.3 and some PHP extensions, I start uploading the PHP script that I use - that's the reason I need VPS.

The only purpose of this PHP script is to make a really large number of requests to a web service, then log results for further analysis. The web service belongs to a mail company in my country, and the data I collect is made of shipping quotes and delivery days. Since the web service limits the amount of simultaneous requests, I need to spread the total amount of requests between various different IPs, otherwise the task would take forever to complete. Now, here come my questions:

1) If I order, say, 20 NAT VPS, will they all come with the same IPV4? If that's the case, it won't do me any good, because the web service limits the amount of requests by IPv4.

2) What is the minimum amount of RAM to accomodate CentOS 7, Apache and PHP 7? My script doesn't use much memory and I don't need more than 30 GB of disk space.

3) Is it harder to configure, compared to cloud VPS I'm used to? What advice can you guys give me?

#2 2019-06-29 14:17:02

WSS
Trusted Member

Re: Advice if a NAT VPS would serve my needs

1)  Yes; this service isn't what you're looking for, unless you can use IPv6.

2) Depends on your code.  I'd suggest 512M because 256 is getting tight with CentOS 7.

3) Not really; you're just limited to a specific amount of public ports. You can't run a lot of common things on it without knowing how.

RbyeR4Nm.png

#3 2019-06-29 14:22:43

mikho
Low End Mod
Website

1) if you order from the same location, most likely you get the same external ipv4.
If you can connect using ipv6, you have more unique addresses.
I currently offer 10-11 locations and Anthony has 3. So you are close to the number 20 you mention.

2) 128mb? You can make it run on less if you use another webserver like nginx or similar.
30gb disk will be a problem, none of the current products offer this amount of disk except one and that is the storage offer I have.

3) nope. There are a few things that you need to think of.
If you used to connect to your apache using only the IP, that has to change.
As port 80 (http) and 443 (https) is shared, you have to use a domain name. It also works with sub domains.
You cannot use Putty as you are used to, you have to enter another port number then the default.

Thats about it.

#4 2019-06-29 16:19:04

Bugfinder
Trusted Member

OKay guys, I'll seek advice from more experienced people I know, including the person who told me about low end servers. Perhaps they can teach me how to do it, run some tests to see how it goes. I don't know if the web service accepts IPV6 addresses, though; have to check it too.

Thanks!

#5 2019-07-07 23:05:42

willie
Trusted Member

This sounds like you are trying to run a hostile bot to scrape somebody's ecommerce site.  LES probably isn't what you are looking for, even if it's just because of that.

Board footer